Hypercholesterolemia and Hyperlipidemia
What is Hypercholesterolemia and Hyperlipidemia?
Hyperlipidemia is abnormally elevated levels of lipids or lipoproteins in the blood. Those lipids include fats, cholesterol and triglycerides. Hypercholesterolemia is abnormally elevated levels of cholesterol in the blood, in other words, high cholesterol.
Primary hyperlipidemia is usually caused by genetic disorders (such as a mutation in a receptor protein), while secondary hyperlipidemia is associated with other underlying causes such as diabetes, glucose intolerance and hyperuricemia. Hyperlipidemia increases risk of cardiovascular diseases, such as angina, heart attack and stroke (S. Bergheanu, M. Bodde, J. Jukema. Pathophysiology and treatment of atherosclerosis: Current view and future perspective on lipoprotein modification treatment // Netherlands Heart Journal. 2017, April, 25 (4): 231–242). In order to check the level of lipids, patient should visit a doctor and perform the blood test.
Is there any effective treatment for hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia?
For lowering the cholesterol and other lipids level in blood the patient needs the following:
- Maintain a healthy diet rich with fiber, vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids, avoiding saturated fats and trans fats,
- Lose excessive weight and increase physical activity,
- Quit alcohol and smoking,
- Consult with your doctor about taking the medication for lowering the lipids level in the blood.
Japanese medicines for lowering cholesterol and other lipids in the blood are certified for safety and efficacy. We would particularly recommend the following medications from Japan for treatment of hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia:
- Atorvastatin tablets (statin) for decreasing the blood level of low-density lipoproteins,
- Juvela N tablets for lowering cholesterol level and preventing arteriosclerosis,
- Parmodia tablets for reducing level of triglycerides, apolipoprotein CIII, remnant cholesterol and increasing production of HDL cholesterol,
- Tocopherol nicotinate for reducing cholesterol level and improving blood flow,
- Bezatol tablets for decreasing LDL-cholesterol and triglyceride level and increasing HDL-cholesterol level,
- Zetia tablets (Ezetimibe) for inhibiting cholesterol absorption,
- Anti-Cholesterol with herbal extracts, DHA and EPA for mild and safe lowering the cholesterol level,
- Nattokinase (kinase enzymes from soy beans natto) for preventing thrombosis and atherosclerosis,
- Spirulina tablets with polyunsaturated fatty acids for improving fat metabolism,
- EPL capsules for dissolving lipids in the blood.
For patients with familial hyperlipidemia the best choice will be Parmodia tablets or Bezatol tablets. As for patients with familial hypercholesterolemia, Japanese specialists recommend Zetia tablets or Atorvastatin tablets.