Radicut Edaravone: Contraindications and Precautions
Contraindications for using Radicut
The use of RADICUT is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Medicine is contraindicated to patients with severe renal insufficiency (renal failure may be aggravated). For use in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, read further the section "Precautions".
- Radicut is contraindicated to persons with known hypersensitivity to any of the components.
- Radicut from Japan is contraindicated for use to pregnant women. During the period of use of the drug is prohibited breastfeeding (laboratory studies of rodents showed the penetration of edaravona in the body of a child with mother's milk).
Precautionary measures when using Radicut
1. It is not recommended to use the drug for persons with forced vital capacity of the lungs in a volume of less than 70% of the norm. Clinical trials of such patients have not been carried out properly due to the low incidence of cases. The need for a drug for these patients should be discussed with a radiating physician, taking into account all risk factors and potential benefits.
2. It is not recommended to use the drug for persons with impaired renal function and / or dehydration. The use of the drug may provoke worsening of disorders or cause acute renal failure. It is especially important to discuss with your doctor the appropriateness of the use of the drug for patients with a high ratio of blood urea nitrogen (hereinafter BUN) and creatinine.
3. It is not recommended to use the drug for people with infectious diseases, liver failure, cardiac diseases, as well as for older people. The use of the drug may cause a deterioration in the clinical condition of these individuals.
4. It is not recommended to use the drug for persons who are in a comatose state, characterized by a lack of response to external irritations.
5. When using the drug, it is necessary to conduct regular studies of the functions of the kidneys, liver and blood cells. It is recommended to conduct regular analyses of the content of BUN, creatinine, aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase, lactate dehydrogenase, creatine kinase, platelet count and red blood cells. If you find significant abnormalities, we recommend that you stop using the drug and take measures to restore impaired functions. It is also recommended to conduct additional above mentioned analyzes after the end of the course of the drug use.
6. For patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis due to muscle atrophy, with the worsening of the disease, the value of creatinine in the blood may fall. If necessary, use of the drug for these patients, it is necessary to conduct a regular analysis of the level of creatinine in the blood, not comparing the obtained indicators with the values of the norm, but monitoring changes in the indicators. When the creatinine level falls, the use of the drug should be discontinued. It is also necessary to monitor changes in the BUN level, fluctuations of which may be associated with dehydration.
7. For patients with muscular atrophy, an assessment of renal function, which is unlikely to be affected by muscle mass, should be carried out before and during the use of the drug. For this assessment, it is necessary not only to analyse the content of creatinine and BUN, but also to estimate the glomerular filtration rate for cystatin C.
If for some reason you can not continue Radicut course, check Rilutek 50 mg as similar medicine with basic same effects for ALS.